Job Announcement: Organizing Director
Ours to Change Mississippi (OTC) believes that Mississippi’s future depends on having an educated populace. We are working to ensure that Mississippi fully funds K-12 public education by 2020. This long-term effort is committed to building an infrastructure that can also support other campaigns for the future of the state, including universal Pre-K. We are looking for someone who will lead our organizing efforts, supporting staff and volunteers to effectively communicate OTC’s message, and utilizing different traditional and modern strategies to do so.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
The Organizing Director will be responsible for the following:
- Identify and builds coalitions with key community partners.
- Determine strategic programming priorities, and contribute to advancing the overall mission of the organization in collaboration with all OTC staff.
- Oversee partnerships with allied organizations.
- Direct the development and implementation of outreach and organizing plans including: training, communications systems, databases, strategic and tactical plans.
- Oversee and facilitate the development of action campaigns including: developing effective campaign plans, coordination of campaign activities and actions, and recruiting coalition allies.
- Represent Ours to Change: at community gatherings, workshops, trainings, and presentations; to community, political, and government leaders; to other community-based organizations; and in the media.
- Mobilize the OTC team and community members to participate in organizing efforts.
- Oversees the development, tracking, and reporting of advocacy and organizing program goals, outcomes, and performance metrics.
- Leads the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of advocacy and organizing policies and procedures.
The best candidates for this position should possess each of the following qualifications:
- Excellent community organizing skills and minimum 5 years experience; demonstrated success in organizing, strategizing, implementing, and identifying victories on organizing campaigns.
- Ability to work with diverse people, communities, and cultures, with understanding of culturally competent practices.
- Excellent time management, project management, and delegation skills.
- Strong knowledge of Mississippi.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external relations.
- Willing to work long hours, evenings and some Saturdays.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position of Organizing Director is a full-time position, with salary and benefits commensurate with the position’s responsibilities and the person’s depth and range of relevant experience.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line: OTC – OD.
Ours to Change provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, ethnic or religious background, descent or nationality, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy), gender identification, disability, marital status, age, height, weight, or military service. This policy applies to employment, internships, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, relationships with vendors, use of contractors and consultants and in dealing with the general public.